Apr 22, 2009

Some more new items

Craggy clay with iron oxide sponged on wet body with white interior and lip glaze, all below cone 5/6 fire.
Pinch bowl with craggy clay same glaze as above, careful to give darker oxide treatment as going down the pot. I think it gives a flashed look. 

Porcelain with beach sand pressed into surface and glaze interior and lip with sponged light glaze on body

I have gotten several new items in a different direction (if that is possible for me) of clay and texture. comments welcomed.

7 comments:

  1. how did you apply the oxide? dip/brush? I really like the last two pics in particular. now I want to go to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what beach sand would do in the gas kiln? Spent tonight prepping some cave art bottles. Since two were made with Craggy Crunch I applied some of what you shared with me and am hoping my results will be half as good as yours.

    You are quite a teacher, Max.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I applied with sponge.
    Becky, I will try if you don't first. I wounder what would happen in barrel fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We could always try it on 5/2? If I can find some sand I might be able to do test tile before the next gas kiln firing. All of your above results have my mind churning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly the free exchange that makes Clayworks a great place to be. We all get inspired by each other and push ourselves in new directions. I am inspired by your new pots and textures and am going to try some in ^5. Great job, Max.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats for the comments. I very much agree John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats was meant to be thanks, sorry. Can you edit a comment after posting???

    ReplyDelete